Sunday, February 17, 2013

collectors memories

This is a Volkswagen Rabbit.  I am not sure if that name is supposed to make you feel like you are speedy and quick... or prey...
I was running, one morning, in our neighbor hood and as I came around the corner I stopped. Have you ever had one of those experiences where you see something and it totally takes you back to the day?  I did.  The Rabbit was the trigger.  I didn't ever drive this little beaut, but my oldest brother and his wife {same color and everything!} did when they were first married. I was probably around 12 or 13 at the time.  {By the way...on the license plate, it says Collectors Car...who'd of thunk?}


 
Ron, Reed and myself with
 the first famous Gibb dog - Chicco
Then my brother sent out some slides that have been hanging around.  Wow! I don't think I have seen most of them. Do you see the 8 track tape player in the background?  I remember listening to "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" on that, with the big ol' earphones, too.  

 
Reed's 2nd Birthday, me - about 5
 
I was about 5 years old in this picture.  I totally remember the dress, pony tails, wallpaper and yes, that is a very chic mustard yellow rotary telephone, thank you very much! There is my little brother Reed...ahhhh...he and I were best of friends when we were little. {At least that is how I remember it.} He looks a lot like my youngest, Sean.
 
 
So many things in this picture.  First of all, I never remember receiving a doll at Christmas, or any other time of my life. {Never really connected with them...but I loved the pool Barbie had.  Thanks Julie!} But here is documentation. I have vivid memories of the white vacuum, foam airplane, and above all the ice cream truck scooter my little brother got.  It came with awesome fake ice cream treats, too.  I loved that thing.  I mostly loved that my little brother loved it and let me play like I was eating that fake ice cream sandwich.

This Christmas must have been the beginning of the gaming experience at my home.  The boys loved board games.  Risk was huge, Monopoly, the occasional Farming Game, and Rook--a card game, but it created much competition so it held it's own.  I watched a lot and played some as I got older. Funny how many times Gary won. {Cheater}  {And he knows it, too.}
 
 Oh how I love looking through those old pictures.  I love how you know they are old, just by the lighting and of course, the hair and clothing styles and furniture.
{orange flowers?!}
 Love It!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment