Saturday, December 1, 2012

First attempt...take a guess

gluten
Crossed out...   eliminated...     moving on...    'it's not you, it's me'...  looking back isn't a good idea...

It started when I was pregnant with Sean.

Now it is just better to stay away from all those things I loved... 
--homemade bread and butter, fresh out of the oven
--crackers
--warm toast with peanut butter and chocolate chips
--gravy
--most things you love and didn't realize has wheat/gluten in them.

So sad...

I tried making ________________ with the substitute flour from Bob's Red Mill -- don't forget the Xanthum gum.  (I had no idea what Xanthum would even look like...gum?...liquid?)  Turns out it is an extremely fine powder that leaves your pocket book smaller than it started out.  About $13.00 a pop for an 8 oz. bag.

I have not jumped into the gluten free world of breads, cookies, crackers, etc.  I have just kind of avoided it.  Tried some blueberry muffins...4 muffins for $5.00.  I eat only 1/2 a muffin at a time. It is nice to actually feel full. 

We'll see where I go next.   If you guessed that they are cookies...you are right! They did taste pretty good.  I think it helps to have the best, big, milk chocolate chips in them.

3 comments:

  1. It sure seems that there are alot of people just like you who can not tolerate Glutten. I love the pictures of everyone in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best chocolate chip cookie recipe will follow, but first, Bob's redmill gluten free baking mix has garbanzo beans in it, and it just doesn't cook up well and tastes gritty in my opinion. The mix I use that I gave you a copy of, makes gluten free baked goods really well. I use it cup for cup in my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe and you can barely tell a difference between them and the "real" thing. Seriously, even charlie and henry don't say a word about them.

    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 sticks softened butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    3 cups GF flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 bag semi sweet choc chips
    1 bag milk chocolate chips.

    Best cookies ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad you have to go gluten free. I made stuff for a friend a few times and www.kingarthurflour.com/blog has some pretty good recipes. Also, I used Bob's redmill GF flour and it was gross compared to the King Arthur GF flour (although it is a little cheaper), so I would keep trying different flours because they are not the same.

    ReplyDelete