Monday, June 16, 2014

Art Show

Maple Valley Days
Every year in June on the second weekend of the month, the City of Maple Valley has a fun community event. It begins with a parade and then the area around Lake Wilderness is opened up for fun rides, booths, and some community sponsored events.

They also hold a community art show. There is an area for the local elementary schools, high school and an adults showing as well.

'Alaskan Trail' and 'Colorado Aspen'
So...I entered my first show! Three pieces. The two together: Alaskan Trail (on the left) and Colorado Aspen (the right) and my Sun Flower.  The two on the top made it into the Juried part of the show.  That means that a judge looks at them and if they meet her standards then they are judged against all the other entries.  "Sun Flower" did not make it but was in the "Salon" or non-juried show. {I am learning so much...}

Sun Flower
I did not receive an award from the judge.  However, they do a people's choice award. When you vote for a piece you like, you also give a small monetary donation to be awarded to the winner. So Saturday afternoon, Maile, Amy, Bonnie, Mom, Leslie, and Cathy and I visited the show.  Without any persuasion from me, they all voted for my Alaskan trail painting.  So yes, I won the people choice award--tied with another artist--and won $16.50.  It was a nice compliment...even if many of the votes came from my own family.  

Thank you, you lovely bunch of ladies, for supporting my love of color through painting!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment